Access hours of meditones music inside the Sanctuary with your FREE trial today!
30 Things To Do Instead Of Scrolling
The beginning of the scroll can feel good. Social media can be a beautiful way to connect to friends and family (especially as an introvert).
And social media can be a fantastic way to share meaningful information, discover new ideas, or simply unwind with a hilarious meme (or ten).
But scrolling can also be a way of numbing ourselves. When our present experience feels overwhelming or lonely, becoming calm can feel impossible.
So we turn to social media for connection, distraction and fun.
But before you know it hours have passed, and when you come out of the trance, you feel weirdly drained which is the opposite of why you started.
So what do you do when you need some downtime, but you don’t want to mindlessly scroll any more?
Here are 30 things to do instead of scrolling:
- Spend time in nature
- Phone a friend (old school)
- Write a letter to a loved one (even older school)
- Colour in
- Draw a mandala
- Doodle in an art or bullet journal
- Listen to a calming playlist
- Recognise shapes in clouds
- Watch a TED talk
- Write 3 pages of uncensored writing to get your thoughts out onto paper
- Borrow a book from the library and read 10 pages
- Have a nap
- Draw an oracle card
- Do a tarot spread
- Listen to meditones
- Blow some bubbles with a smooth, long exhale
- Stretch, do yoga or Pilates
- Light a scented candle and watch it flicker
- Give yourself a facial
- Knit or crochet
- Pat your pet
- Learn your favourite song on a musical instrument
- Bake a delicious treat
- Play cards or a board game
- Make a pot of tea and drink mindfully
- Make a blanket fort
- Water your plants